Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Captain who?

Since Jon got so much amusement out of our date last Saturday, I thought it only fair to post about it... especially since Jon gets no end to my teasing on my blog.

He checked out the new Star Trek movie for us to watch and we settled in with snacks and pillows to enjoy the show. I had warned him that I knew NOTHING about Star Trek... seriously nothing... well... I knew two things: First, they flew on a ship called the Enterprise (and I only knew that because I've heard the nerdy argument about the Millennium Falcon vs. the Enterprise). Second, I knew that those alien guys with weird looking foreheads (Klingons I guess?-Jon just told me) obtained their extra-ordinary features by placing their heads in the microwave. (FYI-that second piece of Star Trek knowledge came from my brother Caleb)

Notwithstanding my lack of knowledge about Star Trek and my previous shunning of it, Jon assured me that I would understand the movie, and he told me that he could explain it all if I got too confused :) Such a sweet patient husband ;) Little did I know how much my comments on the movie would amuse him... Now, remember that I had TOLD him, in no uncertain terms, that this was the FIRST Star Trek movie (or even TV episode) that I'd watched start to finish... and yet, he did the following:

Jon snickered when I said, "I'll bet Spok and that James Kirk guy end up working together."

Jon shook his head and rolled his eyes when I asked, "Wait! Do Star Trek people come from EARTH!?!"

Jon laughed out loud when I commented, "Ohhhhh!!! so that's where "Live long and prosper" comes from!"

Like I said, I'd never seen a Star Trek start to finish... so all of the above things actually surprised me. I felt very educated by the end of the movie! And, much to the film-maker's credit... I DID actually understand the plot, even though I had no previous knowledge of the characters or the pretense. It's actually a pretty dang good movie! Whoever thought of this whole Star Trek thing might have something going for him! I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of Star Trek fan club pops up one of these days. Let me know if you hear about one!

5 Comments:

At February 10, 2010 8:56 AM , Blogger Jonathan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At February 10, 2010 8:58 AM , Blogger Jonathan said...

I love you Deeb. It was great watching the movie with you. The worst part was after we watched the movie I tried to explain to Danielle's parents that she didn't know where "Live Long and Prosper" comes from. Cheryl had no idea what I was talking about and Larry said that he thought he knew where it came from. Maybe I'm the weird one?

 
At February 11, 2010 10:43 AM , Blogger Aaron and Emily said...

I like the spock working with captain kirk comment... wow, deeb, you really haven't seen any episodes! I am glad Caleb could educate me on the microwave. I think I only knew about them being from earth because I think I saw a star trek movie back in the 80's that had something to do with dolphins or whales, and they all come to earth, or something. Jon know what i am talking about?

 
At February 11, 2010 7:12 PM , Blogger Elizabeth Severson said...

I certainly don't remember the comment about the microwave, but I'm sure glad you do Danielle. The amount of crazy stuff I've said over my life amazes even me.

 
At February 12, 2010 5:27 PM , Blogger Johnson Family said...

Wow, after Kristin and I watched it with friends, Kristin had to endure a half hour discussion raging between the awesomeness of Star Trek and said movie, vs the inherent contradictions presented by temporal paradoxes and how they invalidate any plot. You lucked out to only have to explain Vulcans, Jon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home