Tuesday, February 09, 2010

New pattern :) "Messenger Bag"

So here's a new pattern to add to my sewing repertoire... thanks to the "mmmCrafts" blog. Mine doesn't look quite as professional as hers do, but hey, it's a start! I learned several new tricks making this project... for example... I always knew that, in theory, it's easiest to sew things "wrong" side up and then flip it... but I couldn't figure out how to apply that to my purse making... so now I'm excited to be in better control of the seam on future projects :) Also, I love the "flap" thing over the bag, and this pattern makes it simple and perfect!

So, here's a picture of my first "Messenger Bag." I'm sure there will be more to come! I like the way it turned out... The only change I made to the pattern was making the strap adjustable in length by adding two D-rings... unfortunately, the student I made it for is so short that it barely hangs short enough when it's cinched all the way tight... all well... I guess she'll grow into it :)

Addendum: My second messenger bag...
My student wanted all three colors on the bag, so I tried my hand at artfully piecing fabric together. I rather like the way this one turned out. I learned how to make a button hole and I learned that those "pinch" buckles are actually called "parachute buckles," in case you're ever looking for one in a fabric store or something.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At February 10, 2010 6:02 AM , Blogger Larissa Holland said...

that turned out great! I love the adjustable strap too. Thanks for the linkage and kind words too.

 
At February 13, 2010 3:27 PM , Blogger Johnson Family said...

That is beautiful! Well done

 
At February 25, 2010 1:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute! I saw you comment over at mmm...isn't she a doll for giving this pattern and tutorial to us! I love the adjustable strap!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home