Friday, October 24, 2014

A pressing matter...

Once upon a time in a faraway land, Jon and I had no children. Weird... 
We went on a looooooong road trip from Orem, UT to Chicago, IL with stops on the way including attending my roommate's wedding in Winter Quarters, Nebraska, visiting my old mission in Nauvoo, and seeing what appeared to be a Wal-Mart growing out of a corn field. 

Upon arrival in Chicago, we enjoyed the hospitality of Ben and Sarah (who were also kid-less at the time) and enjoyed the many sights of the city with Sarah's expert guidance. 

That was a great trip and I could fill many posts just about that... but the origins of this post come from the very tail end of that trip.  Jon and I were newly wedded for six months and still putting our house together.  Sarah had (for some reason) two garlic presses in her kitchen and asked if we wanted one.  I did not yet have a handy dandy garlic press, so I accepted the offer.  That garlic press rode with us back to Orem, slept in storage while we lived in Fremont, and moved with us into our Newark home.  It has served us well for the better part of our ten years of marriage... 

But unfortunately, our dear garlic press met its untimely demise the other day.  It pressed its last clove... straight through the bottom... as pictured... 





It's a sad thing to see a garlic press die, but it lived a full and vivacious life.

Now that we are done mourning...  does anybody have a great garlic press that they love? I need a very sturdy one apparently... one that can handle high traffic loads of garlic and take the pressure of life with the Kobersteins...

I'm on the hunt... This is a very pressing matter...

3 Comments:

At October 26, 2014 8:28 PM , Blogger Aaron and Emily said...

I have a great garlic press. It's called a knife. Your sister Heather showed me how easy it is. You just take your biggest, heftiest butcher's knife, put it flat side down on the garlic, and pound it with your fist. Skin peels right off, easy to chop. My favorite part is that it's way easier to clean than most garlic presses!

 
At October 26, 2014 10:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah... I've seen you do that trick... so far I don't have a knife that won't bend under the pressure of crushing garlic... so that's something to look into also...

 
At November 02, 2014 10:44 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

So, Jon and I are recent converts to the containers of pre-minced garlic from the grocery store. You should try that if you haven't, just to see what you think. It's less work, you don't have to wash the press or peel out the skin, you don't have to pull off the shells, it doesn't go bad... there are lots of perks.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home