Monday, May 05, 2014

Elsa Cape

Do you know what is totally impossible to find in stores right now??? Frozen dress-ups. Do you know what my girls are dying to have??? Frozen dress-ups. Solution? Make you own, of course!

I wasn't feeling up to making a full out dress, so we agreed on a shimmery Elsa cape! We had a fun trip to JoAnns to pick our fabric and one large snowflake button.

I drew inspiration from this No-Sew Elsa Cape Pattern, but with some adjustments. Including....
 *An opaque layer underneath the shimmery sheer. It has glitter in the fabric; what more could you want??
 *I finished the edge of the sheer layer by melting it, as suggested in the pattern, but I just hemmed the opaque layer. Then, I sewed the two layers together around the neckline and flipped and top-stitched around the same edge.

*And thanks to a computer-nerdy husband, who harvested some very strong magnets from a couple dead hard-drives, we sewed a magnetic clasp in under the button. I figure it's a quick release in case the cape gets stepped on (which happens constantly) so as to avoid the inherent choking hazards... Also, I skipped adding snowflakes... maybe on another day... they were just so ready to play with them...
 The girls have loved singing and dancing and prancing around in their beautiful capes!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At May 12, 2014 10:08 PM , Blogger sunnysnows said...

Good job! Those capes are gorgeous!

 
At May 15, 2014 1:46 PM , Blogger Andrew Bosley said...

Hey dear Danielle! I need your email address. Could you email me? thebosleys (at) gmail (dot) com.
THANKS!!!
love,
maren

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home