Thursday, September 04, 2008

Developing Talents!

So, now that I have the best life in the world, ie, I'm a stay-at-home mom, I've had the chance to develop a new talent. This will shock many of you who have known me for a long time, but I've actually taken up sewing quite a bit.

Sarah Jean and I go get free fabric about once a month. The fabric comes from old upholstery samples and such, so all the pieces are relatively small. But, I've been experimenting with some of the pieces I've gotten, and made some fun stuff so far; for example:

Kitchen accessories: a very portable "stove and oven," if you will, made on an old carpet sample. Also, an apron, complete with pockets! (That's Dawna's favorite feature)



Pillows! These are actually even easier than you'd think... my mom has some old pillows that were worn around the edges and didn't look very nice anymore, so all I had to do was make a pillow case and stuff the old pillows inside.



And finally, purses and bags! These are a little harder to make... I didn't even want to embarass myself by showing my first attempt... it was hilariously hideous... anyway, these two aren't so bad... but still can improve some.



I've really enjoyed learning a little more sewing... it's really relaxing and fun when you don't have the stress of knowing you had to buy all the fabric. Makes you want to experiment and try things and be brave. So... what should I try to make next??

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At September 06, 2008 8:29 AM , Blogger sunnysnows said...

Look how cute you are! Those are adorable! Thanks again for stopping by school; it was such a great surprise. I love you!

 
At September 08, 2008 9:16 AM , Blogger Aaron and Emily said...

You could make me a patchwork shawl.
You could make me a pillowcase.
You could make me a purse.

Seriously, though... you could make Dawna that eyespy bag we talked about. Fill it with rice.

 
At September 08, 2008 12:43 PM , Blogger Camille said...

I need a dress,... but remnant, I don't know. Dazzle me, like you always do! ;)

 
At September 09, 2008 6:55 PM , Blogger Cheryl said...

I love the little apron and stove! They are so cute!

 
At September 11, 2008 9:39 PM , Blogger Grant, Sarah, Edwin, and Leland said...

Yeah for Danielle, I'm so impressed by all the things you make. I almost called you when I finished my creation today, but decided I'll wait to show you. Isn't it fun that we have this little treasure of free fabric, and your so much fun to go with.
Oh yeah I love Emily's comment.

 
At September 11, 2008 9:42 PM , Blogger Grant, Sarah, Edwin, and Leland said...

Ok one thing you'll notice about me and you'll have to help me. My above comment has Yeah twice, but I meant for the sounds to be different (if that makes sense). I have a hard time with:
Yeah,
Yea,
Ya, and
Yay.

Could you help me out with that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home